Where do I send letters?

joshua.wartena@gmail.com
or
Elder Joshua D. Wartena
Casilla de Correo 70
Bahia Blanca 8000
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A new day . . . a new companion

Yes, indeed, that makes 5 companions in 3 1/2 months. This companion speaks no English. Fun, huh?! Here is part of the email we got today. Yeah, today. P-day changed to Wednesday this week. He is busy.



MOM! I love you, Mom!

OK, life in Tres Arroyos this week? Fun, I guess. I got to try my skills at fixing our toilet this week and I am proud to say that after a good amount of fishing life, it is now fully funtional. I also got attacked by some bug (I think it was walking through some high grass) but the bites are gone now! Hopefully the little scars will leave...just kidding! It's a beautifully wonderful day (yes, it's a word!) and just a little humid.
haha, yeah, my fifth comp. But I'll keep this one awhile, I promise!

What do we do on Pday? Well, we got a haircut today! Yeah...we usually get grocery shopping done, clean the house, take a long nap! Study things we've been wanting to but don't have time. Mostly just unwind. There really isn't that much to see in the City that we don't see walking and teaching anyway, but we can go find think we'd like to buy and of course, write our family. Technically, we're only supposed to spend an hour writing emails, but we always go over uploading pictures, writing everyone, etc. So don't shorten your emails, I love them!

Ok, I had some great scripture studies this week I wanted to share with you. I'm reading the standard works in 2 languages and Jesus the Christ again (in English...) and it is so amazing! The scripture that says how everything testifies of Christ is so true! Every story is everything and all the prophets are of Christ! A great talk, finding Christ in the Old Testament that I printed in the MTC really has some cool stuff.


Also, Nephi was a STUD! Lehi in 2 Ne ch 1 says how it is pretty much because of him that they survived. He had such love for his butthead brothers (yeah, I'm still me, can ya tell?) that he desired there eteranl welfare constantly! So many times we read how he spoke to them in the energy of his soul. How can we do that? The different levels of ''sorrow'' they had leading up to repentance is an interesting this to apply to us too. 2:14, 4:4, 7:21, 15:20, 16:5, 16:39 in 1 Nephi. What was their attitude in each situation and what caused it? I just love the scriptures. Think when I get back I might just spend most of my time reading them, because we don't have enough here!


So, cats are fun...especially when they take a liking to your bag whenever you visit a house. Made me laugh. Ok, weird thing about Argentina. Women will just breast feed with no shame. It is absolutely incredible, not even a blanket or anything. Just pull the shirt up or down in the middle of a lesson and go for it. Can't think of many things that catch you more off guard than that...


I made alfredo sauce without a recipe this week! I was pretty proud of myself, I must admit. I was craving some and it ended up being a really good cheesy white sauce.
You think you like ice cream in the states? You need to come down and try Victorias Helados. Oh my gosh, so good. Sure, it's 20 pesos for a half-kilo, which is double Grido's, but if you want good ice cream...


Just a good week.

E. Torres and I get along pretty well. The language barrier isn't a problem. Yeah, the two cultures colliding and adapting to each other takes some work, but we have the Lord's help, so it isn't too bad.


Yeah, it's good. I am still getting used to it, but I like Argentina alot. Still haven't really realized I'm HERE yet. Just feels like living.

Hello!
Your eldest son and missionary
Elder Joshua Duveua Wartena


I am so grateful this week for modern technology. To be able to actually hear from him weekly is such a comforting thing. He sounds well. Thanks to all of you for your support.

Signing off for now,

The Mama


2 comments:

  1. My son just went into the MTC today. He is heading to Bahia Blanca as soon as his training is done. It was nice to read your post. Helps a sad mommy who misses her son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I knew who you were and how you found this blog. That is cool that your son is headed to the same mission. If I knew who you were I could tell my son to keep his eyes and ears open for your son's arrival. This missing never seems to lessen, but the Lord is starting to find a way to help me not cry every day any longer. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete