Where do I send letters?

joshua.wartena@gmail.com
or
Elder Joshua D. Wartena
Casilla de Correo 70
Bahia Blanca 8000
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

New photos on the flickr site. Go see!

Dear Mom,

AGH!!! What is happenening to Orem!!?? The park is all different, you can no longer have the cool bike thing with the slides, the make out hills are gone, and you can't get scared jumping off the stage for the first time!!! Harmons is all different, next thing you know State Street will get new crosswalk things that actually work properly!!!
I'll just stay here in Argentina, so there.
Kidding! Speaking of Orem, we had dinner last night with the family who has a son in the Provo mission close to the mission HQ. There where showing us pictures of him at the Provo Temple, of a church on 8th east, it was pretty trunkyish. Then they had to bring up the photos of when he was in St. George, and E Palmer just about died. Anyways, it was a good dinner. They have a son on a mission, one a year away, and a 1 year old. Whoops...
Good family.
Well, I am much more good looking than when I left, no worries, but not as strong I am sad to report, juggling...yeah. I took out my beanbags to practice the other day and very nearly cried. Lack of practice hurts. And when E Pranter goes home the end of this week, I will feel less humble about my guitar playing skills. (he is REALLY good) Oh, I will be sending Dad's present home with him and some letters, I will let you know his address next week if you woulnd't mind driving a few minutes. (he was in our stake before, so it isn't as though he lives in Idaho, no worries.) Your's and Ben's gift will come home with E Palmer, they haven't be finished yet.
The food, hahahaha...so, methinks I ate something that gave me a weird reaction, and our neighbor says that is what happened. I at first thought it was a bug attack, but they weren't bug bites, and there were more thank 25 on my bicep area alone. Well, they are pretty much gone now, but it was a good experience. (thank heaven for anti itch cream and already having chicken bites and vaccinations, we knew it was none of that)
Yeah, food is pretty much the same of Tres Arroyos, lots of Rice and Pasta. Empenadas, Milenesas, Pizza (kind of...Argy style) Meat meat and more meat! Sorry I haven't sent as many photos, I don't carry my camera around with me all the time anymore. Tres Arroyos was safe, but in Mar Del stuff can get stolen.

Ben is baptized, that is weird. Very very weird.

So, I have nearly finished the BoM, it will be done by sat. (this would be reading it in under a month, phew mission goal was in a month, but I got stuck studying Nephi!) And I have been paying more attention to the whole family unit in the BoM. Maybe something to do with EVERY TALK in gen conf being about the family, I don't know. But the scriptures are really just stories of families. Bible starts with Adam and Eve and their family. BoM, I Nephi, having been born...etc. I think the Lord is trying to tell us something. We are all family!!! He loves us! Yeah, it's kind of obvious, but struck me this week.
So, I think there is a problem with the mail, with my address, something, because I have not recieved anything since December. Thank heaven for email...

Well, I will let you know what is happening with all our investigators here.
Nothing
Yeah, our ward mission leader is frustrated. ''When the missionaries work, we have no help from the ward, and vice versa, why can't we coordinate!'' The bishop is kinda falling apart, and just exhausted. He is a young guy, and really hasn't learned how to delegate everything, and no one is helping him, and it is just sad.
So what do we do? Well, we go through the area book again, knock doors, and just do what we should. Stuff happens, but it doesn't seem as though we are teaching many new people. Still haven't had contact with the girlfriend guy since the first good initial lesson. Same with Brisa and Rocio, just can't get catch them. School requires time or something ridiculous like that. :) We are having some fun contacts though, this old lady last night who gave us 2 of her church's magazines. Essentially the New Era and Ensign. The have 12 apostles, a head apostle, laying on of hands, baptism, holy sealings, and started in 1850. We were trying to teach her, but she was convinced we were basically the same church. Really really weird... We had a good time looking through their magazine though. Let's just say they do NOT have ''for the strength of youth'' or the young women are required to wear much less clothing to confirmations. Speaking of other religions, we contacted 2 Jehovah's Witnesses the other day, we were so bored. They turned out to by 13 and 15, so we let them go, bwahaha. They could get in trouble for talking to us, you have to be like a level 5 to talk to a Mormon. I got a book though! What the Bible really teaches. Fascinating stuff, I had no idea that God prefers us to die than get a blood transfusion...man am I glad to be in the true church.
However, we are still working with the brother in law of the ward mission leader and his inactive wife. Following the example of Ammon and helping him build his house (Ammon, service, yeah) He is alot more willing to have us in his house, so we are moving along.
Oh, English class is fun. I don't think I will ever not laugh when someone asks me what the F word means, or one of it's variations...especially in church.

I really like that Mom, the whole big paragraph. I have been reading old conference talks we have in the house, and have once again decided that I love James E Faust. I have several things, lists in my journal. Including, life goals, movies to see, quotes, books, just things like that. And I really like this poem I found in one of his talks (I added it to my quotes, that is why I brought that up. Oh, your email signature thingy is in there too, btw)

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
Yeah, that is just cool stuff.

The mission is getting better, now that all of the old people with the old bad habits are gone. I guess the last mission pres was a lot more lenient. But yeah, we are doing well.
Really decided to redo my obedience goals again. To make them more a part of everything, and not something I have to decide. Just to make the rules more part of life and less of a thing to worry about. If that makes sense...reading in Alma about all that amazing missionary stuff, I will let you know more about it next week. The Zoramites were esentially Jehovah's witnesses, without the missionary work!

haha, thanks for that Mom, I miss grocery stores too...

Well, thanks for everything and I will talk to you next week!

I love you all
Your missionary son and brother
Elder Joshua Wartena

Favorite part? Just knowing that you can have the spirit with you all the time and have a greater awareness of it because of the time you spend working with the gospel

No comments:

Post a Comment